Mk2 questions

Allyn gave a good explanation for most of this but I need to add a few
comments...

The fan speed thing confuses me... 1.2 and 3 are run thru the resistor and
4 is not. Since the series resistance is reduced as you go up in speed it
does not make sense that 1 & 2 give you full speed and 3 gives you a low
speed. Typical failure in the resistor causes you to loose lower speeds all
together i.e. no 1 or 2 but 3 is ok. I would check 2 thing before ripping
into the top of the airbox/blower motor... 1 check the switch. You can
unplug the switch and use a jumper to select each position. You should have
a Bentley manual to figure this out or I can tell you what color goes to
what for each speed. Be warned that there is a lot of current going to the
blower so this wire will get hot if you use a very small gauge, Make a
jumper wire with spade plugs and plugging it in with the car off is the
safest way to go. Also there is a connector between the harness that goes
to the switch and the one that goes to the blower/resistor. See if any
rewiring has gone on here.

If this is all ok then proceed to the blower but I still don't understand
why it's working like this. I'll recheck the wiring diagram when I get home.

-Raffi