From: <joshhignight@techography.net>
To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 10:28 AM
Subject: RE: Re: Speaker opinions...

Okay, here's a quick run down of my current components...

Blaupunkt Honolulu CD50 h/u (40W max x4)
2 Pioneer TS-A4667 front 4x6's in doors (45W max IIRC)
1 Kenwood 10" KFC W2505 (older model though) mounted in a composite tube
(~600W max)
1 Kenwood KAC 829 amp (600W max)

I'm looking to get something for the rear as the rear speakers from the 85'
were junk, and the ones that came with the 87' are probably junk as well. I
DO care about sound quality, but I'm on a budget. I don't mind replacing the
front speakers sometime soon, but they sound good and can stay for a while.
The h/u I've not had any problems with, unlike what I was warned about
before getting it.

I could use some advice on setting up my sub and amp as I was using the
amp's low-pass filter and that sucks. I can't really afford a good
crossover, and I remember that you can install inline capacitors (IIRC) to
cut high freq's, but I don't know anything about the specs of cap. as they
relate to where the cut would be, etc...

So, back to recommendations and such. Thanks!
Joshua

BTW, you won't get any bass from a 4x6, much less a free air (not chambered)
4x6, also you wouldn't want to hear anything near to 40w emminating from a
headunit amplifier, that rating is probably given at 14.4v and 0.1%THD max
peak power, realistically you'll get ~12w clean from a head unit.

I used to drive and build thumpin boomin systems, back in the day, ha! If
you'relike me, now all I want is a nice full sound, clean/stealth install
and reliability. I don't know what you're running for a head unit, but a
modest system would include a 5channel amplifier (if your HU has subout) or
four without, a subwoofer and the four stock 4x6's with quality components.
For stealth I'd suggest two 8" subs mounted behind the rear wheel wells, or
on 10" in the spare tire well (will have to put spare behind driver's seat),
also the easier of the two options.

Though my experience with stereo brands is a little dated, Boston Acoustics,
Polk, MBQuart, ADS, Infinity are all high end stuff, Pioneer, some kenwood,
MTS?, etc. are middle of road , stay away from sony (speakers) If you keep
your amp channels ~30w then some middle road stuff should work okay, (thats
what I'm planning for my Bimmer), but I wouldn't skimp on the amp, I like
the Alpine MRV-F450 for my install.

Well I've babbled too much, got to get back to work...

If ya want/need more advise LMK.

Jason Adams
Fahrvergnugen Forever! ;)
84 rocco 16v