valve spring compressor?

Getting the valves out is easier than getting them in.

A $18 c-style from Sears works, you'll need a 1" copper sleeve from the
plumbing department to fit over the valve.  The tool then pushes on
that.  Before you install the c-tool, whop the copper tool on the valve
retainer *carefully* with a deadblow to pop the keepers free.  A
magnet-on-a-stick fetches the keepers out.

Reinstallation is trickier.  I have another Cheapass copper fitting
that I cut a window into; I use it with the same tool...but it works
better for 8-valves than 16's, since the 8V's seem to have easier
access.  You have to fish around awhile, but you can get all the
keepers in.

Now Rick's idea...not bad.  I devised my original tools about 15 years
ago, before I had my drill press...which has a tilt table :P

Cheapass Ron

--- Rick Alexander <ralexander03@snet.net> wrote:
> Doug,
>
> I use my drill press. You'll have to come up with a jig to hold it at
> the
> right angle but it works the Cheapass (tm) way.

=====
Cheapass Ron
'87 Scirocco 16'Victor'