clearcoat or no?

Hey,

This might sound like a dumb question but I have no experience with
painting cars (other than rattle canning the truck bed of my first vehicle
in a useless attempt to stop the rust)..

How do I find out whether or not my car has a clear coat layer? I have an
'87 16v with factory flash silver... did all mkii's have clear from the
factory or ..?

Is there an option code on the trunk sticker or something like that or is
there an obvious, easy way of telling just by looking at the paint?

I'm just curious about this.. thanks

-Toby