puddle of gear oil in my driveway

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Robbie Cotner wrote:

> the only sure-fire way to know what flanges is to either measure the
> inner flanges or to check the trans code.  Almost all the research
> I've done points to VW converting to 100mm flanges in 84.5, the same
> time they converted to the big rear wing and a few other things- HTH,
> Rob

Further field data for your research:  My 84.5 Wolfsburg with small spare
came from the factory with a 4K transmission, and 90mm flanges.  My
research indicates that the 4K never left the factory with anything but
90mm flanges, so a caveat may be that if you have an 84.5 with a 9A you
have 100mm flanges, but if you have a 4K, you have 90mm flanges.

Drew

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel