4k swap / back in starter bushing hell again

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Ron Pieper wrote:

> --- "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > - What other tranny codes (if any) have the same final drive AND
> > 1st-4th ratios as the 4K? And how rare are they?
>
> None, exactly, but the 2H, FM (rare), and FK are all so close that it
> doesn't matter (0.05 difference in final drive ratio, 1-4 are
> identical).  Keep looking.  Buy a ratted out A1 GTI for $150 and junk
> it after you remove the tranny.

There is one transmission whose gearing is pretty close to dead on the 4K
- the AWY transmission found in late A2 diesel Golfs and (some) Jettas.
The only gear different between the AWY and the 4K is 2nd - 2.11 on the 4K
and 1.94 on the AWY.  (Note - the AWY had indentical gearing as the AUG -
only difference is it's a 3.94 final vs the 3.67 of the AUG)  THe only
drag is although they're not uncommon up here, they're pretty rare south
of the border.

> > - With a 4K I can just swap drive flanges from my AGB on to the 4K
> > and solve the 90mm/100mm problem, right?
>
> I did.  Others say that they had to 'machine' or clearance the case
> (die grinder would be fine here).

The 4K should take 100mm flanges with no problem - however the earlier
020's (FN, FF, 2H etc) use the older style transmission case which could
require clearancing.

Drew MacPherson - '84 Wolfsburg Edition Scirocco TurboDiesel