clutch problem?

--0-348758753-1036848195=:22007

need some help:

starting off in first gear, unless you rev it up and let out really slow, it jumps up and down like when you first learn to drive a manual.  the problem is still slightly noticeable in second, but 3-5 are ok.  is the clutch slipping?  is there something wrong with my tranny?  i do have an unidentified slow oil leak, could it be the crankshaft seal on the tranny side? im swapping transmissions next weekend, hopefully i will have it figured out in time to get it all fixed at once.

tia

-tony

1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco