[Fears realized - The Curse of the Euro Bumper (kinda long)]

Jeff Toomasson <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --------------------------------------------- =

>	MIME Type:=A0multipart/alternative =

> --------------------------------------------- =

)&@^$#*&^$#&$)#&$)+#(*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Had to get that out of the wa=
y. I
think something else will end up being destroyed before this night's over=
=2E..

Well, friends - it looks like any thoughts of participating in a west-coa=
st
photo shoot are in serious jeopardy.

Not even TWO WEEKS since I have had my euro bumpers installed was my car =
in an
accident. I'm fine - bruised ego and a progressively stiffening back are =
all I
can currently report. But 2 wks??

Basically, I was pulling out of a gas station and had to pull around a li=
neup
of cars to get to the right-hand turn lane. But I couldn't quite align my=
self
with the lineup so I pulled around -  1 foot into a parking lot. Put it i=
reverse, looked over my shoulder - Nothing (just doing one of those quick=
ie
back-ups so I didn't bruise my newly straightened/polished wheels on the =
curb)
- start backing up and BAM! T-boned my euro bumper (not to mention the re=
st of
the rear (right smack dab in the middle). At least 6" deep from the plane=
 of
the end of where the bumper would be. Obviously, the bumper's toast. The =
body?
That brings me to the next ?:

Let me just say that I have a pretty sizeable hangup about keeping a car
that's been in an accident. Pictures will come tomorrow so you can hold o=
ff
judgement until then. But I'm not necessarily sure whether I should part =
it
out or fix it (and when I say fix it, I mean JUST having someone pull the=
 body
to about where it should be. I can do the cosmetics later myself - I just=
 need
to get it primered for a few months so it won't rust (geez, I shudder at =
the
thought). I do not think the frame is damaged, but I can't tell for sure.=
 I'd
hate to send another 16v to the grave....  :(   Hopefully, some of you ca=
provide your opinions tomorrow when I get pix snapped (damn, I was just a=
bout
to buy a digital camera too with the deposit from my rental. F*CK!!!!).

Anyway, just had to get it off my chest. It happened at 10:30 this mornin=
g and
I've been aching for some sympathy - I've had a day of work that woud riv=
al
some of my worst. =

All my wife cares about is whether _ I _ am alright. Hell - all I care ab=
out
is what will become of my 5th Scirocco ;). Will I have to get a 6th befor=
e I
had intended??

Tell me if any of you suffer from this:  every so often you achieve that =
plane
of happiness where everything seems to be clicking - personal life, job, =
home
- and all of a sudden something sh*tty happens to put you back in your
"place". It's that type of gut-check that prevents me from really enjoyin=
those highs because you always know something's going to come along wreck=
 it.
Today, for me, it was a 2001 Corolla. Damn rice...

Thanks for listening, Jeff (86.5 2.0 16v status: doubtful)

Geez, you must have smacked it really well, I nearly pushed over a 4X4 po=
st at
the track a few weeks back (I was worried about rolling the slicks off th=
bead, and the post just blended in, didn't even see it), and it just scuf=
fed
the bumper (my rear valance got chipped tho). Don't can the car, there ar=
lots looking for one, sucks though. My sympathies, and hope your back's o=
kay.
Cathy