(OT) Mercedes Engine Swap Question

At 09:07 AM 11/7/2002, Gordon Forbess wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:49:26 -0800, "Rabbit16v" <Rabbit16v@attbi.com>
>wrote:
>
> >Anyone know if a 2.2L 4 cylinder out of a C220 would fit in a 86 190E?
> >Someone wants me to swap the motor/trans from a 96 C220 into an 86 190E.  If
> >it is anything like VW, the fuel systems are probably totally different and
> >the transmission is probably electronic.  Probably something I don't want to
> >mess with but I need verification so I can let this guy know I'm not doing
> >it because of such and such.  TIA!!
>
>Although I have no specific knowledge about such a swap, I would
>suspect it to be a giant PITA without much benefit.  Unlike VWs, there
>are few places to look for parts help (or experienced advice).  Most
>MB mechanics would probably decline to do it although swapping 500 &
>560 V8s into 126 S class cars is not that uncommon.  My nephew has a
>former diesel 82 S class with a Euro 500 V8 he did a couple of years
>ago.  He left the "Turbo Diesel" badges in place - it surprises people
>off the line :-)

Hehe, I'll bet!  I always wanted to replace my 6.9's badges with "220SD" or
something.  But everyone for some reason assumed the 6.9 was Diesel --
until they saw it launch.

Anyway, I assume you're talking about the W202 C220, and in that case, yes,
the engine should fit in a W201.  IIRC the mounting points are the
same.  The fuel systems are *completely* different (the 190E uses CIS-E),
and the transmission is completely different (electronic vs hydraulic).

Additionally, there's not much of a power benefit to the C220's motor over
the 190...  Yeah, it's slightly more powerful, but IMO not enough to
warrant that complex of a swap... and the 190's 2.0 is much smoother of an
engine than the 2.2...  And remember, you're going OBDII to a car that
debuted in 1982...

If your friend is going to do a swap for power, get the 3.0-liter inline 6
from the W124 E300.  It bolts straight into a 190E 2.6, meaning that you'd
only have to get the rad support from the 190E 2.6 to fit it in
there.  And, if you do it right, you can find a 5-speed from a 190E 2.6 to
make it one seriously fun car. :)

Jason