Insave speed in german cars, etc.

----- Original Message -----
From: "L F" <rocco16v@netzero.net>
All of us, in every vehicle we own (or have ever ridden in), can safely
assume that the speedometer is optimistic by about 10%, unless you have
personally proven otherwise.

Larry

Heheheh, never assume that the speedometer reads high because you can get in
trouble that way.  My 86 GTI used to read 10% low (verified through marked
mile).  Also, it's not a VW, but on the 86 Bonneville I now drive you need
to add 20% to what the speedo reads to figure out how fast you're going.
Yes, 20% (it says 50 but you're going 60).  Verified by the marked mile, a
movable speed sign on the side of the road and that nice cop who pulled me
over a couple days after I got the car but let me go, woohoo!

My $.02
Chris

PS - Both cars are/were equipped with the stock size tires.