Insane speed in german cars... slightly OT, had to share...

ALRIGHT!!!  Weight isn't as much of a factor, if any at all.  It took a
little to sink in but makes sense.  Still think that the speedos could be
actual, not that they are, but that they could.  I know I did 140 (a little
over 220kph on my German speedo).

Dave

Dave-
First, let me say that it's a pleasure discussing a subject (on which we
disagree) with someone who can keep a cool head and not take things
personally.
Now, why are race cars light weight?  Four reasons:

They can accelerate harder.
They can decelerate harder.
They can generate greater lateral acceleration.
And, to a lesser degree, they are less punishing to their components,
particularly the tires.

Notice that top speed is not among those reasons.  That's because race cars
do not strive for top speed (or reach top speed in a race), they strive for
the quickest lap times. That's all.

Yes, NASCAR race cars take a long time to reach top speed, just as every car
will.  That's not because top speed is determined (in part) by how much time
you have available. (If that were true, I should be able to reach 'bout mach
2 on my bicycle if I can just keep pedaling for a month...... which I
cannot)  They reach those incredible speeds because they are A) making about
750hp and B) they are oh-so-very aero.  Those teams spend large fortunes
renting wind tunnels to make them that way.  And get this; those NASCAR
bullets are HEAVY!   I'm sure someone on the list knows what the minimum
weight on those things must be, but I do know they weigh on the far side of
3000 pounds.  They are among fastest of competition cars and yet the
heaviest.
Which brings us back to the Top Speed Equation.
  Horsepower.
  Drag (both aerodynamic and frictional).

Back to you, Dave.

Larry