From: Kervin [mailto:kervinridgley@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 7:42 PM
To: List
Subject: OT: PDA advice

I'm going to get a PDA this week and some input would be welcome. I
work in sales and I would be using it to manage contacts, a simple Excel
sheet, inventory list (100 items), maybe a driving direction map and
download email from home (so I have time to read ALL the messages from
the list). I like the look of t a color screen, but at $150 or so more,
I don't know if it is worth it. Here are the ones I'm thinking of:

Palm m130
Palm m505
Handspring Treo 90
Sony PEG-sj20/30

Any thoughts? Thanks!

--
Kervin
86 Scirocco 2.0 8v 4K+80%

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
--0-1755176716-1036469518=:74313

<P>Wife had a Palm 3xe (predicessor to&nbsp;m505)&nbsp;and now an HP jornada something.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only potentially useful things I have to&nbsp;say are:
<P>The color screen&nbsp;makes the whole thing easier to read.&nbsp; If in doubt, spend&nbsp;a&nbsp;good 20 minutes trying to use one of each type and see how you feel.&nbsp; May not be important for what you&nbsp;do, but color also generally seems to mean higher contrast.&nbsp; Besides, you have to be able to put on a picture of your Rocco to show everyone, right?
<P>Palm OS is not nearly as nice to work with as Windows CE, especially if you want to trade spreadsheets&nbsp;and e-mail and stuff.&nbsp; Now, I'm not even the primary user of ours, but the better integration with Windows seems helpful.&nbsp; The options for entering data are better (not just "grafiti" in one area, but also a sort of OCR thing anywhere on the screen), which is much more practical.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm kinda comparing the older Palm IIIxe to the new HP, but I think the same still applies.&nbsp;
<P>Wife gets hers paid for by her work, so we just got the best that was in that budget, and I really like the HP.&nbsp;&nbsp; Don't get one that is too&nbsp;small.&nbsp; Nice thing about the HP is that the part of the screen you use to enter data is actually part of the screen, not a separate section, so you can use it&nbsp;as regular display area (turning off the entry area) when you want to.&nbsp; That's a very nice feature, I&nbsp;think.&nbsp;E-mails and spreadsheets involve a lot&nbsp;of scrolling, and having a good ~20% or so more screen is really nice.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<P>BwH