[tech]: help! moving timing

i've noticed the last couple of weeks that my timing's been a little off. i
figured my distributor was slipping because one of the bolt holes is
stripped. last night after some hard driving, car lost all power. still
drivable, but obviously something wrong. looked at it today, and the cam
timing was off 2 teeth. took off my valve cover, verified cam timing, set
cam timing back to tdc (i had the adjustable gear advanced), and went on my
way. getting on the highway, i revved to redline, and noticed power loss
again. again, timing off two teeth. i reset, and on the way home (despite
easy driving), timing went off 3 teeth or so. when turning by hand,
everything moves as it should. timing belt looks ok, and was properly
adjusted every time this happened. what the hell is going on here?
only 2 things i can think of: 1) crank gear is stripped a bit, and timing
belt is slipping. i haven't taken off the lower belt cover yet to check, but
this seems unlikely. the timing belt looks good, with no evidence of
slipping.
2) crank gear is moving on the crank. the cam gear can also be moving on the
cam, but everything was lined up when i removed the valve cover this am
(after i started having probs).

i'm hoping that the woodruff key didn't snap, but that's what i'm thinking
happened. could this also happen if the bolt holding gear on pulley came
loose (i kinda doubt it, but...).

i really need this car, and hope i can fix it tomorrow. if the key snapped,
what do i need to do? can i remove the crank with the engine in the car? do
i need to change cranks, or can i somehow replace the key with it on the car
(again, i doubt it).  i have a spare block, so i can steal parts if need be.
  can anyone think of anything else that could cause these symptoms? has
anyone ever heard of these keys snapping? tia,

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN.