Poor running 16v

This thing fires up pretty easy, and it settles in to a nice idle.  Havent
checked the RPM but it souds even and about right.  However when I goose the
throttle there is no response other than it "gags" and stumbles.  If I let
go, it settles back down to a nice steady idle again.  This motor sat for 10
months and has only run about 5 min total so far.  Also when it sputters
with the throttle opened even a little, It misses a bit and then will
sometimes back fire when it catches a split second later.  When it does I
can feel the airflow plate jump and feels like it bangs the bottom of that
end of the boot.  Scared me at first as I have my hand resting on it.  Ive
double checked all my vaccuum connections.  It would be like me to leave a
hose unhooked up.  The ignition controll unit sure gets warm fast.
I still have some wiring/electrical work to do at the fuse panel and I only
have a few fuses in right now that are for the Knock box etc.  i pulled the
injectors and the rubber O rings look/feel like they have been replaced b4
as they are still pretty soft.  Interesting though on one of them the little
one at the tip is missing.  Should I be watching for burnt rubber dust at
the tail pipe?
Probly cheap insurance top replace the set eh?
Any Ideas?  Let it run and break itself in a little more?  The initial
compression check just before it ran for the first time was pretty low on 3
cyl.  Havent checked now that it has run a little.
Thanks for any help.

Ken
1979 Scirocco  "McFly"
16v conversion - Engine in, now the hard part
Electrical  : (
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"