was ... engine-cover on my 1992 GT-II

I think its what Mercedes calls a belly pan.  Even if its fiberglass, it will keep water off of the power steering belt, improve airflow under the car, and maybe reduce engine noise.  I think Mercedes claims its for noise reduction.

Bill

I would not call that part a skip plate. Early VWs came with skid plates
covering the oil pan, they are three or four bars of metal, suitable to
defend against mini boulders and large rocks. I have one in the backyard
right now on Al's old 1.6 block from his 79.

This thing is an 'under engine cover' to coin a phrase, more like an air
dam than protection, and something I have been mocking up for over ten
years.         Off and on. ;]