83 needs help

> Fuel filter - I suppose it crapping out on you is
> the only way to tell it's
> clogged hm? If the car is actually going would there
> be enough pressure to
> get gas past the clog - the car still drove 70 miles
> yesterday after I
> restarted it.

I've had a few filters clog this way:

At 1st the car would start and operate normally for
about ten-twenty minutes then die. After sitting for 5
or ten minutes, the car would start up and run for
another 10 or 15 minutes. This behavior would get
progressively worse.

This was not a total clog - fuel was getting through.

A new fuel filter in this case "cured" the problem.

I recommend you also get intimate with the fuel pump
relay. I carry a hand made jumper wire with a "slot"
type plug on each end to test the fuel pump in an
emergency. This is done by jumping the two large slots
on the fuse box that are perpendicular to one another
(where the relay was).

=====
Mark Peele
1985 Scirocco, 1983 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco "Knife", 1981 Scirocco S, 1978 Scirocco "Miss Spoon", 1987 Golf GT / Yes, I am a moron . . .
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)