[Tech] 16V Pressure Plate Q's - looking for a strong pressure plate for my'79 16V Scirocco

>Thanks for the advice! By "metallic disk", I assume
>you're talking about the pads on the clutch, right?

yup.

>The car will be used almost strictly for
>autocrossing/time trials. It won't actually get too
>many miles, but I don't particularly enjoy clutch
>changes if they can be avoided. What would a be a
>better choice?

Sachs power clutch is good. I have also heard good things about the
Centerforce multi friction surface organic disk. I dont have any experience
with the latter though.

VW also has a race disk I am not for sure on te part number but I know the
last letter designation is GTI. I think the rest of the part number is the
same as a regular 8v 210mm disk. Although the bad side to this one is that
wholesale cost on this part is about 285$. And thats just for the disk
itself. HTH

>Neal
>
>--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you are going to be using a 4 puck clutch just be
> > sure that you dont use
> > a metallic disk. These will wear the pp and the
> > flywheel out in no time.
> > unless of course you plane on using this car for
> > race only and have no
> > prblem replacing clutches.

> > >Neither. Stephen, the guy who is doing my head work
> > >among  other things has recommended a 4-puck clutch
> > >with a spring center by a company called HP. To be
> > >completely honest, I haven't heard much about them
> > >before, but it wasn't too expensive ($100) so I'll
> > >give it a try.  Supposedly, once you start going
> > well
> > >beyond the 200hp mark, the 16v clutch starts having
> > >trouble. I told him it was really important to keep
> > >the car as easy to launch/drive as possible, and he
> > >says this will hold the power and still not be too
> > >difficult to drive due to the sprung center. It's
> > the
> > >only part of the setup so far that I'm not too sure
> > >about, but we'll see!
> > >
> > >Neal
> > >
> > >=====
> > >~Neal

> > Chris DeLong
> > ICQ#45030867
> > Seattle, WA USA
> > '80 16V 'Rocco ragtop
> > '91 GLi 2.0 16V
> > '77 Rabbit 16V
> > '80 'Vert (parting out!)
> > '61 17 Window type II
> > '91 Vanagon
> > '78 Rabbit
> > '84 Jetta

> > Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger:
> > http://messenger.msn.com
> >

>=====
>~Neal

>http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com