my suspension feels loose

You might want to try jacking up the gront end and
wiggle eact wheel left and right to see if your tie
rod ends are worn.  My left one was worn out, which
was discovered by a mechanic while he was alligning my
front end.  I had him change it while it was on the
lift, otherwise , I'd have to fix it myself and then
bring it back to him.  The car handles so much better
than before now that the job is done.  Before , my car
would sometimes feel like it was stuck in a track
while driving straight and it would take too much
effort to correct the steering.  It felt like it was
jumping over when it did correct.  It happened only in
one direction too.  So, the point is, that the
allignment job and the tie rod end corrected it.  The
mechanic was appalled by the grade 5 bolt that I had
used to hold one of my struts to the hub.  I had
installed the bolt in desperation when I couldn't find
one of the VW bolts.  He had one in stock and
installed that.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT