Alternative engine questions

Damn this nice weather has gotten me interested in my car again .. .so more
questions.

I have a wrecked '88 16v, and a functioning 86' 8v. I'm considering pulling
the 16v out and dropping it in the 8v, doing all the work my self. But I was
talking to a guy I work with and he said he had a friend with a gti or golf
or something, who dropped an 8v in and after it was all done with the money
he spent on getting that engine in he could have used to buy a vr6. It
sounds like dropping in the 16v would be pretty straight forward. So one,
what if any other engines (then the 8v and 16v) can you drop into a mk2
scirocco. Obviously you could put anything that will fit in there if you
want to spend the time making it work. But is there anything other then a
16v that would be pretty much bolt on? A g60 or vr6 take quite a lot of
modification am I right?

eric anastas