what's on those velocity stacks?

Looks like a heat shield to me.  I haven't seen a filter that shape before.
My K&N catalog does show something like that shape.  Style F is an ovalesque
shape like that, with sizes up to 22.75x4.25 on the inside of the filter x
2.5" deep, or 19x8x 3" or 6" deep.  Might do for you.  If you have any
dimensions you want me to look up, let me know, or get your own dang
catalog!

BH