CIS-E problems? Idle and throttle response

On 5/23/02 9:30 AM, "koabi" <koabi@seeohdee.com> wrote:

> Car is 2.0 16v with CIS-E.  Usually it idles around 1k rpm, but
> sometimes the idle drops and it will stall if I don't feather the gas.
> When that is happening, throttle response is worse than it normally is,
> except full throttle feels pretty much normal.  The idle/throttle
> problems are more frequent when the car is cold, but it can still do it
> when the engine is completely warm.  I'll do the standard cleaning of
> the contacts, but does anyone have some ideas?
>=20

The ISV is only activated when the idle switch on the throttlebody is
closed. If the switch is intermittently malfunctioning, *and* the idle
adjust screw is set too low, then it could cause your problem.

Try this;=20
Warm up the car, clamp off the rubber hose between the ISV and the intake.
Adjust the idle screw until idle RPM's are at 600-700. Let off clamp on
hose.=20

Idle should be at 1000. Drive the car around to try to get the problem to
happen again, if occasionally the idle drops to 600-700, but it doesn=B9t
stall anymore, then this was your problem, replace the throttle swithces.

The idle swith changes the timing so that throttle response is better, if
it's not closing, the blipping the throttle won't be as responsive.

HTH,=20
Jonas