Good Tires

basically here is the run down on sizes. (info taken out from the wheel
table of scirocco.org)

175-70-13 (1974-1985)
Diameter - 22.645"
Width    - 6.889"
Profile  - 4.822 (thickness)

185-60-14 (1986-1992)
Diameter - 22.741"
Width    -  7.826"
profile  -  4.373"

195-50-15
Diameter - 22.677"
Width    -  7.677"
Profile  -  3.838"

205-15-50
Diameter  - 23.071"
Width     -  8.071"
profile   -  4.035"

Now the differential for a 8v engine based car is higher than an 16v based
one (why this is true, perhaps they re-geared the tranny accordingly I don't
know)
considering that on average a tach is optimistic by 4% on the speed you are
doing.

175-70-13 is +0.13% to 195.50-15
185-60-14 is -0.27% to 195-50-15

175-70-13 is +1.82% to 205-50-15
185-60-14 is +1.43% to 205-50-15

so basically you should be running 195/50/15 if you want to keep your
speedometer accurate.

on my car , (85 8v) this sums up to 2.4 Miles an hour faster than what the
dial says. considering that I normally drive 5-10mph faster than speed limit
anyways most of the time on the highway, it make little difference to me,
but I know what the numbers are.

ATS - Patrick Bureau
1985 8v **Planning 3A/JH  Upgrade**
1988 16v ** FOR SALE : 1500.00$ **