Corrado steering wheel won't fit?!

--0-1596181910-1022126642=:85495

 I've often seen pics of Scirocco's with Corrado steering wheels, from pics I've seen it also appears that those wheels came stock on the last rocco's (around '92).  I ran across what I'm pretty sure was a mid-90's Passat in the boneyard yesterday, and it's steering wheel appeared to be exactly the same as the corrado wheel.  I bought it, and found that the hole for the splines to set into is too big for the Scirocco.  Here are my q's, as I got a good deal on this wheel and probly won't spend $$ on the actual Corrado one, if that one really does pop on:  How hard would it be to go back to the Passat and get the male spline end, the one on the steering column, and put it on my '83 Rocco?  Would I need practically the entire column? Secondly, the splines in both my stock Scirocco wheel and the Passat wheel are set in a rounded-triangular piece of metal that looks to be the same size on both wheels, other than the spline holes are different diameters.  I know that the turn signal switcher on the Passat wheel will work (same part# as my Rocco one!), so I was wondering if there is a way to press out the metal chunk that is in the middle of all that plasticy stuff(the wheel).  It appears possible, anyone done it?  -Thanks in advance for any help-
Rob