[tech]: 35 mm offset with 40 mm offset wheels?

I run 5mm H&R spacers. Expensive, but worth it.

Depending on the wheel width, 40mm may not be a bad
thing. I had some 16x7.5" rims with a 38mm offset.
They were so wide compared to stock wheels that they
looked great. But they just *barely* rubbed the rear
springs, hence the 5mm spacers.

Now I'm running wheels with 25mm offset! But, they're
only 6.5" wide, so the outer lip ends up in
more-or-less the same place.

Offset measurements are somewhat confusing because you
have to factor in the overall width of the wheel to
determine where the inner/outer edges are.

Backspace measurements are better, but not fool-proof.
Anybody want some 15x7 3-piece BBS wheels with 3"(f)
and 3.5"(r) backspacing? *Beautiful* wheels, and super
light at 12lbs each. Katie spent HOURS polishing the
lips to a mirror before I did a test-fit (stupid me).
I was told they were 4" and 4.5" backspace...GRRRRrrr.
It looks like they measured to where the 3 pieces
join, instead of to the hub face. Duh. Of course I
didn't verify it upon receipt, and now I've got
mondo-rollerskates!! Maybe they'll look OK as street
wheels on the '77 with the body kit's fender flares
installed? Maybe I'll take up ghetto crusing? Who
knows. But enough of my rambling...

Neal

--- Michael Abatzis <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> hey guys, came across a cheap wheel that i'd like to
> use as a spare (they no
> longer make it). the original wheels that are on my
> car are 40 mm offset,
> this one is 35mm.  can i just use a spacer or
> something to make it fit
> right?
> -michael

=====