Cylinder head gasket - removal & replacement

Yah - I just consulted the Bentley - it's amazing that
it takes 2 manuals to get the WHOLE story - bent.
doesn't mention that you can pull it with the
manifold, but does show a picture of it... Haynes
doesn't mention that you have to disco the manifold
and DP.  I assumed that there was enough "flex" in the
flex pipe to pull it up a little and swap the
gaskets...  That probably would have been a bad
maneuver :)

Thanks for the info peoples...  I can't believe I am
getting into this less than 2 mo's after rebuilding my
vanagon engine...