Front strut housing re-assembly?

Neal-
  I seem to remember seeing a tool in the McMaster-Carr Supply catalog.  It
was called an "adjustable spanner" or "spanner wrench" (not to be confused
with the British "spanner", which is what we Americans call an open-end
wrench).
If this doesn't bear fruit, perhaps Geoff has the special tool?
(I also machined a 3/8" drive 'socket' that has four 'prongs' that engage
four notches in the steering stem nut on my Suzuki, it has an OD of  44mm
and an ID of  37mm .  If these dimensions are the same as the nut on your
units, I would be willing to lend it to you.)

Larry   sandiego16V