Valve Lash? Camshaft malfunction?

Did you install HD valve springs?  Did your last motor have a broken spring
as far as you know?  I believe to run those cams you have to run HD springs.
I might be wrong but seems to me that a 276 is a pretty serious cam to run
on stock springs.

The only other thing I can think of (besides the obvious lifter problem) is
if one of the cams is tearing one of the cap/bearings up on the head.  Had
this happen once but was the result of metal running through the motor.

HTH!!

Dave