Teaching someone to drive a stick in your car

That's an excellent tip.  I didn't realize dealers were still teaching
people to drive sticks.  Thought they were just selling auto trannies
to the people who grew up without clutches in the family.  I have
bunch of nieces and nephews and a couple of sisters-in-laws that do
not have a clue about the 'other' pedal.  =20

On Thu, 16 May 2002 16:57:36 +0000, you wrote:

>I tought a ton of people to drive stick when I worked at the dealership.=
 =20
>Here's a nice trick that is educational for the driver, and easy on the =
car:

>The first thing you should have them do is to get the car rolling =
without=20
>touching the gas pedal.  Tell them to let out on the clutch pedal very=20
>slowly, and watch the tack/listen to the engine.  If the engine gets =
jerky=20
>or slows down, the put the clutch pedal back in just a little.
>
>Almost everyone who started out this way got it on the first or second =
try. =20
>It works really well because it gives them time to think about what is =
going=20
>on, and makes them focus on the goal behind using the clutch pedal.
>
>From there, just have them make slightly faster starts with the gas =
pedal=20
>slightly depressed.  A few iterations later they will start figuring out=
 how=20
>the gas pedal relates to the clutch, and from there it's just a matter =
of a=20
>minute or two before they are making decent starts.
>
>Got this idea from a friend, and it works beautifully.
>
>BH

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9
http://home.att.net/~gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm