interesting story/ND

On Mon, 13 May 2002 20:28:07 -0700 "Larry" <rocco16v@netzero.com> writes:
>In criminal court, yes, the other driver can be charged.
>In civil court, where the suits are filed and heard, the 'deep
>pockets' will be targeted.

Yup.

>Meze, next time don't volunteer for so many duties at ND....take some
>time for yourself!

Couldn't help it. Someone had to make it happen. The SF region autox
people have an extremely laid back (More along the lines of "whatever"
than laid back actually..) attitude about running an autox which, due to
the size of our turnout, wouldn't fly. Were extremely regimented on how
we do things to ensure consistency for all participants. My initial
opinion when I got there was, "sweet, SP drivers". (Meaning, experienced
autoxers would help make this event run flawlessly.)
When it came down to it, we had severely misjudged the competitors. About
2% had actual autox experience. This was only a problem when it came to
how the event was going to run. There was the usual miscommunication of
any event but, it worked out. They just have a different way of doing
things. Way different.
The bottom line was, the NASA people (not the autox people, the site
people) are sooo stodgy and have their heads buried so far up their ass,
its amazing they even can make it there to work everyday. I bet they get
plexiomities as part of their hiring process.

(FYI - That's a plastic window they surgically in their tummy so they can
SEE where they're walking with their heads stuck so far up their ass.)

They wanted the speeds to be less than 45mph. WTF, I was high 3rd gear
thru only 1 corner. The 2nd half of the course sucked because of them.
They shit when a Rabbit 3 wheeled thru a slow corner. WTF, That's what
they do. Seriously, Santa Clara needs to take that place back and make
better use of the facility. I felt really bad for Tim and the rest of the
ND gang. NASA held everybody inside the show area until it was completely
over. That's like, wrong. Anyway, yeah, I was busy. just wish I had more
say in the matter because I know it could of been so much better. As it
was, I was merely the Tech Inspector guy who jumped into a few other jobs
and then got yelled at for it. Well, scolded. Someone had to be in
charge, LOL! The guy who was the motorsports director was swamped with
things to do. Most of which that *I* saw was unrelated to the motorsports
event where we needed him.

Sokay, it all worked out and everyone got their runs even tho it was cut
down from 4 runs to only 3. Not anything we could do about that, NASA
didn't want more than 1 car out on course at a time.  WTF. Its no wonder
why we loose shit in space.

>I take it that the Chevy motor made it back okay after driving 200
>miles on NO oil?  (man, them Chevies are tough!)
>Just don't tell your dad.....
>:)
>Larry

Naw, was more like 45-50 miles tops. 15 of it was an hours worth comming
out of LA traffic. Besides, it had 1/5th the oil it needed so it wasn't
completely empty. The gauge did bounce every now and them til I stopped
to check it. Only took 4qts to make it happy again. It likes 20-50.
It ran great on the way home. Got hot at the grapevine (260F) but it
never got hotter than that. Ran 75mph most of the way home. Fuel economy
suffered a little more than it did going up there. Its amazing how 70mph
gets so much better fuel economy than 75mph did and typically, I get much
better fuel economy comming home than I do going up. hmm.
I put 1000 miles on it. Its all the way up to 67K miles now. Go El
Camino!

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco 8V
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.