a big thanks (kinda long)

So, I went up to maine today, after discovering that the scirocco hadn't been
sold. It was a mess. it didn't look *too* bad, passed the unmatching driver's
side door and a bit of rust (not too much though.) However, the real fun
started when I popped the hood. Lo and behold the VIN number under there was
very, very different from the one of the dash. So the guy says to me "I don't
know, maybe it had a new dash put in it." to which my friend replied "oh,
Great! so we know that the dashboard hasn't been in an accident!" It was
leaking oil. The mounts seemed fine when I shook the engine, but upon starting
the car, the dash, along with several of my fillings started to shake at
alarming velocity. I kinda liked that, but knew it wasn't good. After a rather
alarming test drive, where I determined that I really did want a decent one, I
decided to do a compression check. it came back 180-170-120-90. Interesting, I
thought. So I asked if he had any motor oil in the garage to do a wet check. I
had my head buried under the hood and he said to me "How about some ATF?" I
thought he was joking, my friend who came with me, however said he looked
pretty serious. Even with a long laundry list of things wrong with it, he still
wouldn't budge below 1200, so I bid him farewell and went along my way.
Out of all of this though, I came to a profound appreciation for the
information you guys (and gals) passed on to me. I probably would have bought
the car had I not known exactly what to look for with it. Thank you all for the
money I saved.

-LT.

oh, and P.S. If anyone on this list is looking at an 87 16v in a lovley *gag*
white that is located in farmington maine, look somewhere else. The guy had it
for three years, and I really honestly think he never threw so much as a new
set of spark plugs at such a wonderful machine. If you are still interested in
it, email me and I'll send you my laundry
list.