motor mounts?

--- "Lyman M. Terni" <ternil@union.edu> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> call me an idiot if need be, but I'm gonna ask two
> questions just to
> make sure I know what I'm looking at.
>
> What does a bad motor mount look like vs. a good or
> decent one?
>
> and second
>
> I know where the exhaust manifold is, but where
> exactly is the flex
> joint? and will it be simple to tell if its leaking?
>
> Thanks, I promise if I buy it, I'll get to know it
> real well
>
> Lyman

Stock motor mounts for VWs are made of rubber. Imagine
what old, cracked rubber looks like and you get the
idea. Another test is to rev the engine and see if it
jumps jumps and tilts to one side. A car with bad
motor mounts can also vibrate a lot. Like someone
wrote the other day; things can look funny when you
see them through the rear view mirror.

When you're talking about the flex joint, I assume you
are speaking of the 16V flex pipe. It runs right out
of the exhaust manifold and the joint is the part that
bends down to the exhaust system beneath the car. If
it leaks there can be a staccato hissing sound, or the
car is just loud. Sometimes you can see the leak,
especially when it is cold.

=====
Jorel Jackson
web site:  http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jomoj/