Can someone explain -- transmission flipping

Say wha?

If you simply want the tranny to have the output shafts rotate in the
opposite direction (with the original engine rotation
direction)...well...you'd have to be in reverse all the time.  And
that's only one gear.  In other words, no way.

Power travels from the flywheel via the clutch to the mainshaft.  Then,
through any one of the five forward gears, to the pinion shaft and then
the diff.  Reverse gear throws an extra gear between the main and
pinion shafts, reversing it's rotation.

So, no way to get the tranny to drive the car the wrong way.  It'd be
easier to develop a reverse rotating engine, IMO.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled brainstorm...

Ron