Tarantula rims, Magnesium?

Larry,

While your argument may have some validity it still does not hold ground. If
you would argue that NO PART is cast from pure Magnesium you are correct
(AFA VW car parts go). However, this would not explain how Aircooled beetle
case shavings (some Magnesium content but mostly Aluminum) ignite with a
very intense white light. These shavings can be ignited by a mere cigarette
lighter. They burn by themselves.

Tarantula wheels however have NO Magnesium content. If there is any
Magnesium in them it would have to be so miniscule that the entire wheel
could not possibly be considered as a "Magnesium" wheel. Not even a spark
came from the shavings we tested.

Tom's wheels from his porsche could very well have a high Magnesium content.
I have worked on many Porsche's and the first time I took a wheel off of one
('77 911) I almost threw it over the car anticipating its weight.

Now can we PLEASE drop this dumbass thread?

00

>I'd be so bold as to say NO parts are cast in pure magnesium.  It's always
>alloyed with several other elements (primarily aluminum) so that desired
>properties can be obtained.  Ease of casting, machinability, corrosion
>resistance, tensile strength, fatigue resistance are all considered when
>selecting a specific magnesium alloy for a specific application.
>

>Larry  sandiego16V
>

> > On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:28:22AM -0700, Fenton, Shannon wrote:
> >
> > > well as grinding a bunch of very large shavings form each rim. Putting
> > > the pieces on the shop floor resting in a nest of shavings we
>attempted
> > > to ignite them. Guess what. They don't burn. Why, because they are not
> > > magnesium.
> > >
> > > Don't think I tried hard enough? I got the torch out. No igniting.
>Still
> > > not trying hard enough? We soaked the piles in gasoline. Well the
> > > gasoline sure as hell burned but no bright white flames from the
> > > "magnesium".
> >
> > You know, I've been reading this thread for a week now and biting my
> > tounge, but no more.  Most "magnesium" parts are not pure magnesium,
>they
> > are specifically alloyed to PREVENT combustion.  Think engineers are
> > stupid?  They don't want the rims to catch on fire if some moron
> > decides to drive around on blown-out tires. You want to know how hard it
> > is to get even a thin piece of mag alloy to ignite, read
> > http://www.simson.net/photos/hacks/cubefire.html
> >
> > So anyway, even if the rims are mag alloy, I'm not surprised you
> > couldn't get it to burn.
> >
> > Dan

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867