Failed Emissions, what does it mean?

Eric,
Even with the older test limits of the Mk1 Scirocco's and the fact that I
have basically a near new motor I still don't think Mars would pass in CA
without the Cat.
Luckily in the county Craig and I live in we don't have to do a rolling
dyno........yet. :(
I run CIS-lambda, 16* ignition advance on a euro-curve dizzy (32* final),
2* cam advance and ~13.0:1 air/fuel and pass with the cat on.
If you leaned out the air/fuel and set your timing back to factory spec.
you "might" be able to pass but I wouldn't take the chance out here in CA.
Better safe than sorry us my motto...if you fail smog in CA, you will be
VERY sorry especially with a modded motor.

Randy
(still like the idea of the fake clamp on cat shell for the 16V guys.....he
he he......very clever!!)