Failed Emissions, what does it mean?

I suspect it is the age of the car that matters here.  Kevins is a 88,
which has higher restrictions than those of us with Mk1s.  Here in Denver
we have to do the same rolling dyno tests as CA, with some pretty tough
restrictions, but my 80, with hollow cat, large exhaust and CIS that has
seen better days always passes with flying colors, based on the limits for
a 1980 vehicle.  I suspect people like RandyB and others in CA running
older roccos could pass with no cat.

Eric