upper strut nut question...

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:13:27PM -0800, Ron Pieper wrote:
> Here's what I've done in the absence of having the "right" tool.  I
> found the right sized socket, and ground a few flats into the sides, so
> a Kentucky Fit-All (or vice-grips) would fit.  Through the square hole,
> I put the allen wrench, with a pipe or something to gain the required
> torque.  Just loosen it a bit.
>
> Or, preferably, get the right tool.

I found a great tool for removing the strut nut.  It's called a
O-Ratchet, sold at sears for like $40 for a handle and both metric and SAE
sockets.  It's basically a socket wrence with a hole in the center, so
you can use it on really long bolts, or insert a tool (say, and allen
wrench) through the center. The metric sockets did not go up to the size
for the strut nut, but I called the manufacturer directly, and they had
the size I needed for like 2 bucks, and they didn't charge
shipping.  Looks like this:  http://www.newmantools.com/oratchet.htm

Dan

--
Injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected, and selected since 1976