any listers from new mexico

I was stationed in Alamogordo, NM from 1996 to 1999, and the car inspection
laws aren't very restrictive.  I just showed up at the DMV with my CA
driver's license (got it changed to NM), proof of insurance, and title to my
car (as applicable for you), and whammo!  I got a nice new yellow license
plate replete with sticker.  No emission inspection required for my 1988
Scirocco 16v.

I bought a nice house out there (sold it already, sorry): sitting on an acre
of land (one peach tree and one really nice shade tree for my hammock), two
bedrooms, vaulted ceilings, fireplace, large kitchen with an island in the
middle, and a three car driveway for $55K.  My mortgage was $440 per month
and that included my insurance and property taxes.  Renting a two bedroom
apartment was around $600 for one by the golf course (if you don't mind
little white balls flying through your window), and usually $400 - $500 in
town.  Cost of living is not high at all.

If you're heading to Albequerque, the cost of living is still not that high.
  Las Cruces (college town) is not very high at all...depends where you want
to live.  You can get a nice spread for little money.  Now if you're going
to Taos, I don't know what the deal is up there.

Good luck.

Steph