Need fast response

    I don't know about the extreme fuel burning, but if the plug wires are
marginal or the distributor cap doesn't seal well on the distributor, that
would definitely cause running problems in the rain.  Is there a kewl blue glow
around any of the wires when it's running?  Pop the dist cap and see if there's
any obvious moisture inside.  I had this problem once, the only solution was a
blow-dryer when it rained.
     HTH

Cheers,
Colin