5th Gear slipping (was Re: Gear oil? )

Christopher Mueller wrote:

> Speaking of gear oil...  Since I have to add fluid from the top through the
> speedo socket, what markings can I use to determine the correct level?
> Someone had mentioned a week or two ago about problems with their 5th gear
> slipping and low gear oil as the culprit. True/False?
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher
> 87 16v

There are two 17 mm socketed bolts on the transaxle. One is the drain on
the bottom and the other is used to verify levels and it's on the side.

Depending on the year and trans model you pour in 2 liters to fill on
others a little bit less (Hmm, or is it more?). You  fill until it
begins to pour out the side and that'll do it.

If it was me, I would drain the existing fluid and refill with all new.
This way you _know_ how much is in there, it's FRESH and you have a
chance to review the old stuff for metal bits, etc.

hth,
TBerk