Battery Reloq. Fuses/Breakers (long)

Re: Battery Reloq. Fuses/Breakers (long)
To: Ron Pieper , Brian Haygood ,
scirocco-l@scirocco.org

> > For you EE types, is there any reason I can't use a household bre=
aker
> > meant for 120vAC?  I mean, can I rig up a "10 amp" breaker and ex=
pect

Can we just say this is a really bad idea and leave it at that?

I didn't think so.  Let's see:

1) the breaker will probably have too much voltage drop (I have measured a volt or more across 120 vac breakers under load)

2) DC causes more arcing than AC, so you might fry the breaker the first time it trips, or even weld the contacts shut so it won't trip.

3) household breakers aren't designed to withstand the vibration in a car.

4) I'm sure there are a few more reasons that I could think of.

Bill