Engine Rebuild Costs - ballpark?

I was replacing the cylinder head gaskets.  One of the
cylinders stuck to the head when I was removing it (in
the van).  There is no way to re-compress the piston
rings with the engine in the van, so it had to come
out.

Once you pull it out, I figured I might as well do the
whole nine-yards of the rebuild and cleaning.  It was
far more fun than I ever hoped to have with that
engine ;)

I love my van.  It has saved me $$$ on motel rooms
over the years.  It is not as fun (or quick) to drive
as the scirocco, but it can't be beat for road trips.

I have been drooling over putting a G60 in my van.  I
have also seen a Subaru SVX 6 cylinder swap that is
really nice looking.  But, hopefully this current
engine will last long enough to afford something nice
and big :)

--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Sounds like you had fun ;-)
>
> Already pulled the engine out of my Van and put it
> back in. Next time I do
> it (hopefully soon) I will be installing a 2.0l 16v.
> Just have to make a
> custom intake manifold for it; and get some ABF
> parts ;-)
>
> Vanagons are cool though huh? I really like mine
> (except for the engine
> part). At least they arent as oily and rusty as
> their aircooled kin.
>
> Just out of curiosity; why did you take the engine
> out in the first place?
>

> >Damn
> >
> >Maybe I'll just buy a Cooper Mini when my 'rocco
> gives
> >up the ghost.  It might be cheaper in the long
> run...
> >

> >Actually, after 10 hours of working today, we got
> the
> >engine back in my vanagon today.  There are a lot
> of
> >little freaking coolant hoses and sensors in that
> >engine.  I mean a LOT.  There are something like 27
> >individual coolant hoses, most about 3 inches long
> >just in the engine compartment.  There are 8
> >individual fuel lines, 2 cylinder heads (boxxer
> >engine), and about a gazillion hose clamps and oil
> >gaskets.  Somehow (probably thanks to the hardware
> kit
> >I bought with the cylinder heads) it all went back
> >together without any missing nuts and bolts.  The
> >exhaust is in position on some floor jacks, just
> >waiting for daylight and the feeling of numbness in
> my
> >arms to go away to put it back in.
> >
> >It really helps to have a friend that will help you
> >out for hours on end for just some beer and
> breakfast
> >- not necessarily in that order, but
> occasionally...
> >and sometimes they are one and the same :)
> >
> >Thanks for the email- good reality check - need any
> >tips on pulling the engine out of your 91 v'gon,
> lemme
> >know - I can tell you a lot of things NOT to do :)
> >
> >Mark
> >

> >--- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Ok just to give you guys a little break down on
> how
> > > I got my figures. When I
> > > made that quote it is assuming the engine is in
> the
> > > car. The shop (I work
> > > at/run whatever) charges 10 hours to r&r the
> engine
> > > longblock. Then you are
> > > looking at about another 8 hours in disassembly
> and
> > > reassembly of the
> > > longblock itself. This amounts to roughly 1300$
> in
> > > labor alone (shop rate is
> > > 70$ per hour). Then you have 250$ in pistons,
> 85$
> > > for a lower end gasket
> > > set, 100$ for a upper end gasket set, 150$ to
> [...]
=== message truncated ===