In search of a good main ground location

---------- Original Message -------------------------
---------
From: "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 15:50:48 -0800 (PST)

>Hey all,
>
>A couple days ago after being away from my car for
about 2 weeks I went
>out to start it and when I turned the key all the
gauges and lights
>started going crazy. Recognizing this as a symptom
of a bad
>ground, I popped the hood and cleaned and
reconditioned my main
>battery ground (4 ga), which promptly fixed the
problem. The resistance
>from the battery negative to the chassis dropped
from 12.6 ohms to 0.00
>ohms after doing that.
>
>The thing is: the ground wasn't dirty or corroded
at all. It was coated
>in Redline MTL that had seeped along the tranny
bolt on to the connector.
>It's been so long since I replaced the factory
grounding strap on my car
>that I can't remember where it went to originally
but I think I need to
>move it to a different tranny bolt that isn't as
susceptible to oil
>seepage.
>
>Anyone know of a good one?
>
>-Toby
>
>(Heh, I just realized how extraordinarily stupid
this question sounds.. oh
>well!)
>
>--
>'87 16v

No, it doesn't sound stupid!!!
...That's a good question!

On the A2, Volkswagen replaced the top rear
transaxle to engine bolt with a bolt/stud.
It bolts on like the regular 19mm headed bolt,
except that it has an 8mm stud sticking out for the
ground cable.

You can grab one from any A2 (and probably A3) parts
car, or buy a new one from the dealer.

HTH!

Peter - Bear Delaware 19701
'79 Scirocco 16V, '83 & '84 GTI