cross drilled rotors Scott Williams is WRONG!

>F = uNA
>

>Force of friction is equal to the coefficient of friction, times the normal
>force, times the surface area. Bigger breaks will stop faster. Simple
>physics. But the question is where the trade off goes the wrong way in terms
>of weight added vs stoping power.
>

>aireq

While your math is correct of course, leaping to the conclusion that
bigger brakes will
stop your car faster is not. Simple physics really.  If you have a
braking system
capable of locking up the tires (and a well working 9.4 inch 8v set
up is most likely
capable of doing it),  adding more rotor will not suddenly increase
the ability of the
tires to stick to the road.  It is the friction between the tire and
surface of the road
that actually stops the car...

Everything else in the braking system (not including the hydraulic system,
(rotors, pads, tires, etc) is simply a way to transform kinetic
energy into heat. Nothing
more, again, that's the physics being applied here.  No other magic
involved.  Bank
on it.  See the back postings on rotor size vs weight vs heat for the
real advantages in
bigger rotors, so I'm not going to go into it again here.

I'm working on the article scanning and re-htmling right now, I'm
sure we'll all have
a great time with it. :-)

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net