To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: Axle nut

When you do the wheel bearings make sure you get at least 200 lbs of =
torque
on that bitch.  Especially on the passenger side.  The motion of the =
wheel
can loosen the nut as you drive.  The driver's side doesn't do that c=
ause
it would tighten as it spins.  Would've been nice if vw thought of re=
verse
threads on the pass. side.  And replace the hub too.  It can get a gr=
oove
in it from the inner race of the bearing sloshing about.

At 11:45 PM 3/21/02 EST, you wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:25:36 -0800 "Larry" <rocco16v@netzero.com> wr=
ites:
>>Last month, two years after replacing both drive shaft assemblies, =
the
>>passenger-side bearing squalls as I'm leaving the house and turning
>>right.
>>Go home, check the axle nut, can put about 1/8 turn on it.  Noise i=
>>gone.
>>Three weeks later, same noise is back, nut can take another 1/8 tur=
n.
>>Tighten it, noise gone.
>

>When you say you tighten it, HOW tight?
>

>>I'm afraid to take the thing to work!! (20 miles)
>>  I'm preparing to replace wheel bearings, but am not completely
>>convinced this will cure it.
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Larry  sandiego16V
>

>Id say tighten the crapolah out of it. When it gets loose, the beari=
ng
>likely is now bad and it will need replacing soon anyways. It takes =
ALOT
>for the wheel bearing to come apart. I drove on mine for... I dont w=
anna
>say exactly how long. It was a very long time.
>Check the threads on the CV?
>It could be a soft nut pulling thru?
>if it does somehow break, I can brung you an assy to get you home. I=
 gots
>spares.
>

>Shawn M=E9ze
>86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
>82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"  84' Scirocco=
 8V
>The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all =
of
>San Diego!
>http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1308/index.htm

Scott Rose