[tech] Valve shim q's

--------------060308080009090208080502

Here's the deal.
1.8 solid lifter JH
Autotech 268* cam
    Specs: This cam runs strong after 3000 rpm and peaks at 6800 rpm,
netting a 13 horsepower gain. The profile is 11.2mm lift with a 286
degree duration measured (the European way) at 0.1mm check clearance.
Translated, this is 0.436 inches lift and 243 degrees of duration at
0.050" check clearance.

I need to do a valve adjustment and I'm looking for options.  I've found
a set of 18 shims, "the Shim Set works on all solid lifter cylinder
heads. It contains an assortment of eighteen shims ranging from 3.45mm
to 3.90mm in thickness."
According to Bentley, the most common sizes for replacements range from
3.55 to 3.80mm.
Now, would I be better off getting the set of 18, or should I make my
measurements and only get the ones I need?  I also have 3 engines in the
basement, I plan on scavenging those shims as well.
What kind of damage would running my motor without doing an adjustment
have done?  I have maybe 3 miles on the recent install, and I never took
the revs over 3300.....

Nate
'81
'84

--------------060308080009090208080502

<head>
</head>
Here's the deal.<br>
1.8 solid lifter JH<br>
Autotech 268* cam<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Specs:<font face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><font size="2" face="Arial">
 This cam runs strong after 3000 rpm and peaks at 6800 rpm, netting a 13
horsepower gain. The profile is 11.2mm lift with a 286 degree duration measured
(the European way) at 0.1mm check clearance. Translated, this is 0.436 inches
I need to do a valve adjustment and I'm looking for options. &nbsp;I've found
a set of 18 shims, "the Shim Set works on all solid lifter cylinder heads.
It contains an assortment of eighteen shims ranging from 3.45mm to 3.90mm
in thickness."<br>
According to Bentley, the most common sizes for replacements range from 3.55
to 3.80mm. &nbsp;<br>
Now, would I be better off getting the set of 18, or should I make my measurements
and only get the ones I need? &nbsp;I also have 3 engines in the basement, I plan
on scavenging those shims as well.<br>
What kind of damage would running my motor without doing an adjustment have
done? &nbsp;I have maybe 3 miles on the recent install, and I never took the revs
over 3300.....<br>
Nate<br>
'81<br>
'84<br>