[OT] ARGH!!!!! Smoked VR6 clutch...

Marc Peterson wrote:

> My wife killed the clutch in my VR6...don't tell her I said this, I told her
> "don't worry, it was like that" just so she wouldn't feel bad.
>
> Anyway, is this a DIY job or should I take it to my shop?  I did the
> headgasket on this car myself, but dropping the tranny...<shudders>
>
> Marc
> driving the Scirocco for one more week...

Dropping the transaxle is fun because you need one of those 12 point
bits and the axle likes to turn while you are torquing and everything.
Bench pressing the trans isn't too bad, I've done it a time or two but
it helps to use the floor jack and/or have a helper around.

I don't know too much about what makes a VR6 different than an I-4 so no
help there but if you get a new friction disk and some other goodies and
have the week end to work with and a Bentley then you should be set.

GL,
TBerk