re-post:burnt valves, weak coil, exorcism. plz read

**my mailserver fucked up so i didnt get any replies so i am sending out this message again**

I have a 1988 16v rocco with 116 grand on 'er.  The car starts DECENT but not right up.  The idle is finicky-the tach seems to be having a siezure at idle, moving up and down about 1/16th of an inch about 5-8 times a second-and sometimes the engine cannot find idle.  300 rpm-1200-300-1200 etc.  The  engine also misses-almost seems like 1 of the 4 cylinders isnt firing regularly.  but this is not a constant problem.  it is intermittent.  sometimes the engine runs fine-below 4 grand- and sometimes it runs, well, worse than
 a 3 legged dog.  The engine almost always just sputters above 4 grand, but sometimes pushes through it and revs all the way to the orange.  here is a complete list of the parts i have replaced and the tests i have done:

REPLACED: fuel filter, coolant temperature sensor, thermotime switch, ignition control module, lambda sensor (OXS)  and control unit, BOTH fuel pumps,
 plugs (many times- the car loved to load em up b4 i replaced the o2 sensor
, wires, cap, rotor.

TESTED:  differential pressure regulator, hall effect sender, idle air regulator, idle and full throttle switch, compression, timing, timing advance

there are no vacuum leaks and no bad grounds.

I have done a resistance test on teh coil as per bentley and the numbers were dead center.  Does this mean the coil is DEFINATELY good?  or can a coil start to fail at high RPM's or be weak? Also, i have a friend who had similair problems on his car(1974 superbeetle), and found it was a single burnt valve.  Has anyone had any experience with a burnt valve in a 16v rocco?  i am running out of parts to replace that could fix the problem, and running out of parts to replace, period.  Not to mention my left asscheek is starting to hurt because the padding in my wallet is getting thin.  If anyone out there can contribute a helpful word, HELP ME PLEASE!

thinking of giving up and selling car to junkyard,
Dan Miller

from http://www.veedub.com