Scirocco content: I DROVE BOTH CARS TODAY!!!!

Yes, it's true, after almost a year and a half, my '84 got to move from
its parking spot today!!
I took off work early to play.  Got home, jumped out of the '81, got the
'84 keys, jumped in.  Figgered a little quick look-over was in need, so
I checked my oil, checked for any nasty leaks that may have occured,
stuff like that.  Got in, started 'er up, and proceeded to take it
around the block, slowly.  Man, it felt good to drive my car again.
 Stunk like hell (stuff still burning off the radiator for sitting so
long), brakes were crazy crunchy, but it felt good.  Clutch felt good,
it shifted very nice (nice and adjusted, recent bushings, Redline MTL).
 I took it to about 3000 RPM, but carefully (per Jasin's warning, the
new motor had been sitting a while).  Power seemed to really kick in at
about 2500-3000, would this be normal with my setup (it's been so long
since I've driven it I can't remember) 1.8 JH (we think), 286* cam,
4-2-1 with 2" TT cat and catback exhaust.  It seemed to get somewhat
noisy about 3000, too.  I never did a valve adjustment when I installed
the cam, how critical is this, and will I do any damage driving it
without checking/adjusting my valves?  And where is a good place to get
valve shims, if I need them?
I took my '81 to the video store after driving the '84, and I could
hardly drive it.  The clutch on the '84 is new, so it engaged right off
the floor.  The '81 clutch is almost shot, so it engages almost at the
end of the pedal travel.  Steering wheel is obviously different.  I
never realized what different personalitys my cars have.  Cloth vs.
pleather, A/C vs. non-A/C, etc, etc.
I'm planning on taking it easy with it now that I have it running (no
interstate driving yet), so the '81 will still be my daily driver for a
short while.  Then, I dunno.  Anyone have a driving schedule for driving
2 cars?  It's too bad there is an odd number of days in the week......
=o)

Nate
'81 OO=\x/=OO

I have 2 cars now!!!!!