Door holder opener thingy

So I'm not sure what it is called but it is that little bar located just in
front of the lower hinge of the door that slides in and out and kinda holds
the door open... Well the spring mechanism that this rod slides in and out
of is in the door and the rod attaches to a bracket in the door jam, just
above the hinge.

Mine is no longer attached.

Anyone have this problem and if so how do you fix it. I pilled the carpet
off the kick panel and there is no access to the back side of this bracket
so I'm thinking I'll have to pull the wheel well and crawl in behind the
fender. Can this be fixed? Is a bolt in piece or welded?

-Raffi
-'87 Scirocco 'the door won't stay open' 16V