polished 16v rims?

--- brett cooke <vwscir88@hotmail.com> wrote:
>   i've got five sets of stock 16v rims sitting around the garage so i was
> thinking of polishing a set or two. has anyone done this? if so how did they
> look?

 I polished a set of teardrop wheels.  It was a job that had nice results,
but wasn't worth the hours and hours I spent, well... yea it was... they
looked pretty good for stock rims I suppose.

Here's my 16v with the polished wheels:
<http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/my16v12.jpg>

Basically, in order to polish the aluminum, you must first get to the
aluminum!  This means that all clear coat must first be stipped.   I used
an Aircraft Paint stripper to get the clearcoat off.  This took several
applications to bubble the clear coat away.  Not a clean process!
Once the wheels are bare aluminum you can begin the sanding, buffing, and
polishing process.  An electric drill with a buffing wheel and the proper
compounds will really help this go faster.
I would definitely recommend having the tires off the wheels!!

Then, once polished, you must keep them polished...as the bare aluminum
will oxidize over time.  The other option would be to clear coat again
after you are finished polishing.

I would never wish this polishing torture on any of my friends...
Just ask Rich Deede and I about polishing intake manifolds too.   ;)
It just takes time, and more time to make it look good.
(that's my warning to anyone thinking this will be fun and easy)

Good luck!

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v